Sunday 25 October 2015

Cross Research

I have decided to gather all the information I have learnt from looking through various brands to see if I can find any reoccurring factors throughout. Which I can them hopefully develop into my own work.

Key;
Green - Small business with target market of teen girls.
Yellow - Large Established Company, products also sold in other large retailers. Target market of young, on trend female.
Orange - Medium size company, higher luxury products. Target market of fashion conscience, young people.  

The first table I created was about the similarities I noticed across each of their websites.


From my website research the most common similarities throughout the four websites where the added annotations to the product photos. This brings more interest to the page, drawing the eye of the customer leading them to want to find out more about the certain product. Eventually leading to a possible sale. The next similarity I noticed was the pleasing layout 3/4 websites had. With the product photos placed coherently around the home page, all working with one another. 
  • detail to the use of colours on home page (all work well together, is aesthetically pleasing)
  • all product photos work with each other/similar layout/style
I looked at the style each brand displays throughout their products and designs.



Most commonly used style throughout the four websites where Hand Drawn, Digitally Drawn and Digitally Enhanced. Although a lot of the hand drawn, specifically in Sighh where brought onto photoshop/illustrator and further edited on there (digitally enhanced).
I will be concentrating on digitally drawn but I would like to try experimenting with photo manipulation and playing around with real images. Specifically looking at the natural world rather than man made.


Themes I have noticed which made an appearance is each website/brand was Cacti. Cacti seems to be a very popular trend at the moment, throughout the retail world. Trends is something I want to make further research into, throuhout my research project.
Other themes/trends I noticed throughout the brands where;
  • flowers
  • digital media influenced design ( hashtags/slang/emojis etc)
  • skulls/spooky (halloween lines) [this was written and researched in October so was expected]
  • unicorns/cats/mermaids/dogs(specifically pugs)
  • graphic illustration/typography
Below I have summed up/listed what each company sells, product wise.
  • Sighh - Phone cases, pocket mirrors, tote bags, stickers, planners, note books.
  • Paperchase - Stationary, greetings cards, bags, stickers, badged, phone cases, wrapping paper, note books/folders.
  • Skinnydip - Phone cases, bags, stickers  
  • Riahnna Ellington - Bags, pocket squares, prints.


Summary
This cross analysis I have done across the four brands has really helped me look closer and see what exactly they are making and selling. I will carry on this information as I continue my project and relate back to my findings which will hopefully help in my development and progress. I also hope to get into contact with at least some of the brands to find out more information on their brand.




No comments:

Post a Comment