Monday 25 January 2016

Contemporary Tattoo Design

Aswell as exploring the origins, history and traditional meanings tattooing I also want to explore the modern day and contemporary tattoos. I came across a website listing an array of different modern tattoos which I became very drawn to.

http://www.awwwards.com/contemporary-tattoos-and-their-inspiration.html


I really enjoyed this tattoo design above, by artist Brezinski Ilya from Saint Petersburg. It's very clever in the sense it is one big piece but on two separate elements. Something which I find very interesting and wish to explore further within my own work, as I think it adds interest and is something not that common within the art world. It develops and pushes what you can dow with just one piece of art. 

Here is Ilya's Behance which holds a huge range of art he has created for the purpose of tattooing.




Another artist I found from this page is Vaigirdas Kofy, whos art I really enjoy. Kofys art is all very semetrical, combining a lot of different elements and designs together for one piece. Semetrical art is something I have already looked at with previous works I have created and plan to continue that element in my work.
I also like the use of mandalas used in Kofys work, something I have not looked at previously but may experiment with them in my own work and see how they turn out.

Here is a link to Kofys instagram:


After doing some research into contemporary tattoo design, I created some of my own ideas and designs in the sketchbook. Using techniques such as dotting to create shadow, similarly used in the tattoo industry. 



I also developed one design digitally, into illustrator to see how it would transfer digitally. 





The design did translate well, although it isn't a strong enough concept on its on. To be a more effective design, there would need to be more added to it. 



1 comment: